*First of all, shout out to my 2 new Followers! I'm loving having 7 followers, yippee!
As most of you know, my husband is in school getting his PhD in Microbiology/Molecular Genetics. Yes, it's as complicated as it sounds ;)
He does a lot of research, reading, experiments that are related/have implications for cancer research, and right now I'm even being very careful how I word things because he's very particular in how he describes his research, etc. Anyway, based on new reports (if you'd like references, I'll ask Matt to provide) that in their lifetime 50% of the American population will likely be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lifetime. More specifically, the odds from birth to death for men is 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 for females.
Here are some proven things to up your chances:
-Smoking. This one is the biggie. This increases your risk by 50%
-Obesity: 30%
-Aging. Can't avoid this one, but your risks significantly increase over the age of 55
Needless to say, I hear about this stuff A LOT and the importance of diet and exercise and taking vitamins. He really gets going when he asks when I last took a multivitamin and the answer is not today!! Ooops.
He is also on me about a regular dose of fruit and vegetables. 5 servings of each. I maybe get 5 servings of fruit in a week, not in a day...and vegetables, I like them fried, haha. We have gotten back in to steaming broccoli, carrots occasionally, but we definitely eat our share of sweet potato fries. They're just sooo good.
One of my favorite blogs I follow is Pioneer Woman. I was talking about her blog a week or so ago at my book club HH, and another girl and I gushed for about 5 minutes about how much we love her and think we'd be best friends with her if we ever met. Haha. Getting to the point, she posted a "recipe" for fruit smoothies in the past week, and I was sold. I made a modified version this morning and it was AH-mazing.
Here's the link for her smoothies. She recommended adding veggies to hers as an option. I wasn't so brave this morning, but I may venture out as I continue to make these.
Here's What I Put In Mine (WISH I had taken a picture...next time)
-About 1/3 of the bag of HEB frozen berries (medley of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, YUM)
-Three heaping scoops of Light and Fit vanilla flavored yogurt (rougly 2/3 cup)
-Dash of OJ
-Sprinkled about 1/2 of a package of Carnation Instant Breakfast (vanilla flavored)
-!/2 of a banana
-A few ice cubes (The fruit was frozen so it didn't need much ice)
The Result: DUH-licious. I got my serving of fruit for the day, the Carnantion instant breakfast adds essential vitamins and mineraks, and it was all soo good. Maybe I'll add a little extra OJ or water next time, it was real thick so I ate it with a spoon until it melted some. There was a hint of vanilla flavor in there which was nice.
Yum! I'm going to try these soon!
ReplyDeleteSo yum. Just to clarify, the whole bag of mixed berries was 16 oz, so I used about 5 or 6 ounces of fruit.
ReplyDeleteAnd this yields about a 16 oz smoothie. It fit perfectly in a plastic (Rudy's)restaurant cup!
I am a total smoothie fanatic. I usually use plain greek yogurt because it has more protein and less sugar OR I'll use a scoop of whey protein powder.
ReplyDeleteThe trick with working in veggies is to use half an apple to cover up the taste...I'll sometimes do half a banana, half an apple and a couple big handfuls of spinach. It turns everything bright green and you can't even taste it! I also do a mango-carrot-apple that rocks as well. Yay smoothies!
Yes!! Laura, so glad you commented. I remember you being a smoothie fanatic! Great suggestion for incorporating vegetables. I also like Greek Yogurt but had the Light and Fit on hand. It does have tons of protein and minimal sugar. And I'm sure the smoothie scenario helps cover the aftertaste.
ReplyDeleteJust to clear something up, it's 5 fruits/veggies a day. Not five of each a day. This is what the American Cancer Society says.
ReplyDeleteGreat job taking my interests and making them into a smoothie...
Thanks honey! You are the cheese to my macaroni :)
ReplyDelete