Around this time every 4 years, I'd like to take a year's long break from Facebook. Why? Because honestly, I would rather hear about what you ate for breakfast, how bored you are at work, or even see that you traded a goat for some building supplies on Farmville than hear about your conspiracy theories or polarizing views on politics.
I know I may be in the minority, and forgive me if this offends you, but honestly, it's supremely annoying seeing people debate or post ridiculous articles on Facebook regarding politics. I think having an opinion and a voice is great. But to the extent that you bully people and degrade their beliefs in a public way is in no way constructive. It's interesting to me that so many people stand up for certain ideas, whether it be gay marriage or any other hot button topic out there, and feel that certain group of society is being subjected to hate. Yet in the same token, they spread hate towards those who oppose their viewpoints.
I'm expecting a, "why are you on Facebook then if it annoys you so much?" Because I believe in the good aspects of it. Keeping in touch with people you don't see often. Seeing pictures of nieces/nephews who I only get to once a month at best...I could go on.
I'm not saying that people should keep silent about their feelings or politics in general. But for once, I would really like to see people be constructive instead of destructive. For all of my Christian readers, consider Romans Chapter 13 when tempted to complain or criticize the current administration. Our "debt" to society is to love our neighbors and to pray for those in power. Consider this constructive idea as opposed to spreading dissension.
I just felt I needed to get this off my chest. Don't worry, I'll be back to my light-hearted banter next week! :)
I love your personal opinion. Even though I sometimes blow up and rant. I try really really hard not to do it on FB and try to use my blog with disclaimers as well. Thanks for posting this. It's a good reminder that no one wants to hear it.
ReplyDelete